[3830] NAQP CW K5DU(K5NA) Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Aug 10 08:00:41 PDT 2009

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K5DU
Operator(s): K5NA
Station: K5NA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MS

   40:   1      1
   20:  38     21
   15:  16     10
Total:  55     32  Total Score = 1,760

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: Seven Faces of Richard

Comments:

K5DU was the third call I used for this contest on my driving trip across the
South. I had previously used K5NA in LA and N5AA for the first half of MS.

During the trip across MS we had experienced high winds and driving rain. Once
we came up on a huge pine tree that had blown down across the interstate
blocking all of one lane. This required a quick reaction on my part and I went
onto the shoulder (paved) to avoid the tree and other cars. It was a near
thing.

Occasionally we would experience a downpour that required my slowing down to
the point that I had to put my four-way flashers on. The weather was just plain
bad and getting worse. My operating using K5DU was broken up by periods when I
had to stop operating and be more careful driving. This was turning into a
really tough weather day for driving across country.

My plan at this point was to use K5DU for the rest off the way across MS and
then to switch to W5FOC and KT2Z for portions of Alabama. I had given up on the
possibility of making Georgia before stopping for the night. The weather was
just too bad and my progress across the south was too slow.

I was happy when we made it to the Alabama line at 2151Z and I switched calls
to W5FOC. For the first time I was starting to look forward to ending my
participation in the contest and getting into a hotel away from the weather.

73, Richard - K5NA