[3830] NAQP SSB N4TP(@W4DUG) M/2 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Aug 18 12:35:56 PDT 2009

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: N4TP
Operator(s): AJ4LU, K4LAW, KD4ACG, KD4FLM, KF4MJO, KJ4AEU, KJ4AWM, KR4X, W1GUD, W4LT, W4RIR, N4NHO, AE4WK
Station: W4DUG

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: Tampa, FL

  160:    0     0
Total: 1246   167  Total Score = 211,820

Club: Tampa ARC

Team:

Comments:

Rig : Icom IC756Pro2 (x2)

         Antennas : Force 12 C31XR @ 108ft, EF240X @ 118ft, C19X @ 68ft,
                    Radioworkx Carolina Windom 160 @ 35ft

         Logging LAN powered by the N1MMLogger Networked Multi User Mode.

The Tampa ARC uses this contest as a way to expose members interested in
Radiosport to contest operations in a multi operator multi transmitter
environment, and as a training excercise for budding contesters returning to
the fray for seconds and thirds.

This year, we had several rookies; AJ4LU, KD4FLM, KF4MJO, KJ4AEU, N4NHO and
AE4WK.  We had some returning "sophomores", KJ4AWM, W4RIR and KD4ACG and one
"old timer" getting back into the SSB game, K4LAW.

Each op had the opportunity to have a logger/coach available if they chose, or
could "take the training wheels off" and go solo.  A priority was to give our
sophomores experience in "prime time" 20/40 meter pileup run operations on the
main radio.  It was fun watching them sort the piles with big smiles on their
faces (after the initial overload shock wore off).

Everybody had a great time and I feel we scored well for our operator's
experience levels.

Conditions were somewhat fair, with a good opening on 15 meters.  We really
hoped 10 would be more open, but made do with what we could find as we do have
a very good antenna complement for the high bands.  Worked all states in 12
hours, including Alaska and Hawaii on 40m.  Missed three Canadian provinces for
a sweep, but very happy with our multiplier passing work.

We did not find 160 to be useable at all from our West Central Florida QTH, and
not many were worked on 80 due to the QRN from the neighboring Thunderstorms,
although the lightning left us alone this year (must be the Lightning VooDoo
doll W4LT purchased in New Orleans).

Thanks to our "anchor team" of W1GUD (the lead off batter) and KR4X, (batting
Clean Up) for the great work, as well as K4LAW's rock and roll on 40 SSB (see?
SSB is not so bad!).

A great salute goes out to our behind the scenes station technical integration
team of KA4MEP and K4NQ who delivered a 100% reliable multi-2 facility with no
operational issues only four days after a ligtning strike took down our
microHAM Band Decoder.  Thanks also goes out to W4TV at microHAM USA for
getting us the replacement unit in record time and also to N4WEB for driving to
Orlando and back on Friday to pick it up!

We exceeded all of our goals, excecuted our plan to the letter, shattered our
last year score, all operators performed very well, we were very successful in
passing multipliers among our two stations and the air conditioning worked
flawlessly this year (it was stolen for the copper last year, and boy was it
hot in the shack!)

I am very very happy with out score and our turnout!  Congratulations, Team
TARC!

We will be back with more experience next time!

Lu - W4LT - (a.k.a. "Field Marshall von Romero") TARC Contest Wrangler