[3830] NCCC Sprint WI2E LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Aug 20 20:24:47 PDT 2009

                    NCCC Sprint - August 21

Call: WI2E
Operator(s): WI2E
Station: WI2E

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: PA

  160:   0      0
   80:   8      7
   40:  16     12
   20:   5      2
   15:   0      0
   10:   0      0
-------------------
Total:  29     21  Total Score = 609

I had a dreadful start replete with a logging software error (sorry Doug, KY4F,
for the duped call) and five QSOs in the first ten minutes. I worked everything
I could hear--which wasn't much on 20M. Once the group started moving to 40M,
things picked up for me with 16 QSOs in the second 10 minutes.  I probably
waited a little too long to get to 80M, so only 8 QSOs in the final third of
the sprint. I added some N1MM macros to move the receive focus through the DX
Doubler around a bit, and I think that might have been more of a distraction
than a help this time around.

One thing you have all done is inspire me to undertake some major antenna work
here (hopefully before the NA Sprint).  The plan is to get a reversible wire
beam up on 20M, convert the 43 ft. vertical into the heart of a 3 element
parasitic array for 40M, and put up an inverted-L for 80M & 160M.  That and
putting down some more radials for the phased array, and I think I'll have
maximized what I can do with wire and temporary antennas in my 125 x 100 ft
yard. Yes, I've been giving EZNEC a workout lately to see how much this will
all interact in theory. :-) Now, all I need to do is free myself from work so I
can get on with it!

The station here currently:

Rigs: K3 / TS-940S
Antennas: 43 ft. vertical and two phased Hy-Gain AV-14AVQs

Thanks to all for the QSOs.

73,

Joe
WI2E