[3830] OhQP K8MR/M Mobile LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Aug 24 18:44:30 PDT 2009

                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K8MR/M
Operator(s): K8MR, AC8E
Station: K8MR

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: 26 Counties

   80:  357     58
   40:  303     57
   20:  106      8
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  766    123  CW Mults = 72  Ph Mults = 53  Total Score = 173,775

Club: Northern Ohio DX Association

Comments:

By County, in order of appearance:

       CW   SSB
CARR   27    1
TUSC   13    1
HARR   26    6
GUER   27    1
BELM   26    2
MONR   34    1
NOBL   39    5
MUSK   38    2
MORG   32   16
PERR   25   15
HOCK   28    8
FAIR   17    6
PICK   19    7
FAYE   25    6
MADI   41    7
GREE   16    7
CLAR   32   10
GHAM   20    8
UNIO   39    9
LOGA   44    0
HARD   40    0
WYAN   31    3
MARI   28    0
CRAW   27    0
MORR   34    0
RICH   28    2

TOT   766   123     889

MULTS:
CTY    34    24      58
S/P    38    29      47

It was a good day to drive around Ohio - pleasantly warm, no rain. My usual
driver, W8DRZ, had to back out as he had been in the hospital earlier in the
week. He was home by OQP time, and we even managed to work on 75 SSB. John,
AC8E, filled in as designated driver and did a fine job.

Conditions seemed mediocre, never getting any big runs on 20 or on 40 during
the daylight hours. But with more 80 meter daytime activity, including a new
mobile "mini-window" at 3545, I had 80 meter CW contacts from every county
except TUSC, and at least five from every other one except GUER (1).  After
sunset, 80 meters went crazy, with huge pileups and great rates. In the last
hour, jogging along the county lines of WYAN-MARI-CRAW-MORR-RICH, I had 120
qsos, which included some time spent on SSB.

This was also the first time in any state party that I've had more qsos on 80
CW than on 40 CW.

Notable qsos included KD0S/M in SD, who I then managed to move from CW to SSB
for a double mult. KL8DX, formerly KE8RO from Ohio, was worked on both modes. I
worked more in state mobiles than I probably have in all other state contests
combined. Several were ones in nearby counties, but also some were in other
parts of the state when we worked.

On the other hand I missed such stupid SSB mults as Indiana, California,
Colorado, and all of 7-land except for KL8DX. But such is life in multi-mode
state qso parties. My claimed score is only about 4K behind the all time mobile
record, so it would have taken only a few more mults to beat the record.

Thanks to all who participated.  See next year in the OQP. I'll likely be out
for one day in the Pennsylvania QSO Party, and I may show up from a cool
non-traditional place for a couple of the early fall contests.

73  -  Jim  K8MR