[3830] SCC RTTY K7IA SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Aug 30 18:48:54 PDT 2009

                    SCC RTTY Championship

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: SW New Mexico
Operating Time (hrs): 12:48

   80:   21    39    17
   40:  131   272    51
   20:  311   762    60
   15:    1     2     1
   10:    0     0     0
-------------------------
Total:  464  1075   129  Total Score = 138,675

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

My first SCC RTTY, and I enjoyed it.  There was more activity worldwide than I
thought there would be, so this is a contest offering plenty of action, even
when sunspots are low.  I liked the exchange:  four digits of the year first
licensed.  I found myself thinking about the things I was doing when the folks
I was working got their licenses!  Those amateurs licensed in recent years made
me feel a bit on the "old" side, too!

What are some data without a little analysis?  The following table is based on
my log and shows the number of first time licensees in five year intervals
beginning in 1940.  My sample space is rather small, I haven't statified it by
location (North America vs. DX), and many of the data points are the same folks
worked on several bands.

          Dates         No        %
      1940 THRU 1944     1       0.21    Club Station
      1945 THRU 1949     1       0.21
      1950 THRU 1954    21       4.49
      1955 THRU 1959    58      12.39
      1960 THRU 1964    45       9.62
      1965 THRU 1969    32       6.84
      1970 THRU 1974    46       9.83
      1975 THRU 1979    52      11.11
      1980 THRU 1984    40       8.55
      1985 THRU 1989    34       7.26
      1990 THRU 1994    40       8.55
      1995 THRU 1999    25       5.34
      2000 THRU 2004    32       6.84
      2005 THRU 2009    41       8.76

It's nice to see the numbers picking up in this decade!

73,
Dan