[3830] CQWW CW W6PH SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Dec 1 11:43:28 PST 2009

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Lone Pine, CA

  160:   10     9        8
   80:   55    18       24
   40:  639    37      116
   20:  186    30       53
   15:   87    18       41
   10:   16     5        7
------------------------------
Total:  993   117      249  Total Score = 988,932

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:  IC-781 AL-1200  CT9 DOS
Antennas:  (Field Day Style)
    160- Inverted L
     80- 1/4 wave sloper
     40- Cushcraft 40-2CD at 65 feet
     20-10  A3S at 45 feet, ATB-34 at 60 feet

I started out as a SOAB entry.  When I QSYed from
40M, which was great, to a noisy 160 and 80m, I decided
to go back to 40M.  It was going so great that I
stayed at the rig until dawn when I had a big sinker.
The higher bands were pretty crappy in the days
before the contest, so I decided to focus my efforts
on 40M to work 100 countries and 30 zones as a goal.
As it turned out, I exceeded my expectations and
only missed zones 21, 22, and 34.  During the day
I operated sporadically on the higher bands which
weren't really as much fun as 40M was.

On 40M I started working Europe at 2 pm local when the
sun was high and worked my last Asian around 9 am even
though the beacon stations were still loud.

I only called CQ when the JA's were coming through
as I didn't feel loud enough to get answers from
European stations who were fairly weak.  I completely
missed the LP opening in the morning that several
others have observed.

The antennas went up on Wednesday and Thursday and
were all down by Monday at noon.  Those AB-577 mast
systems are great for the temporary antennas that
I use.

I'll see everyone from my annual trips to Bermuda
in the ARRL DX Contests as VP9/W6PH.

                  73, Kurt, W6PH