[3830] CQWW CW W8QZA(@N0KE) SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Dec 1 16:15:00 PST 2009

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W8QZA
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: N0KE

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Silt, Colorado

  160:    5     3        3
   80:   31     9       14
   40:   86    18       34
   20:  234    28       72
   15:   87    19       43
   10:   18     6       10

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: Elecraft K-2

Antennas at N0KE:

10-15-20 Meter 3 el Delta (Quad variant) up 60 feet
10-15-20 Meter 3 el TA-33 tribander up 60 feet
40 Meter 2 el Yagi up 55 feet
40-80 Meter HyTower vertical
80 Meter 4 Square
160 Meter sloper

For the second straight year I did this contest from the station of my long
time friend N0KE, Phil, who was operating from TI5N.

Phil's contest station is located in a beautful area of western Colorado, and
is a work in progress with the latest addition being the 80 M Four Square
array.

This was a contest of highs and lows. For an hour on Sunday morning, I thought
I was back several years at the solar peak with every European station I called
on 20 meters coming back to my 5 watt signal on the first call. I worked
stations all the way up to 14145, just below the phone band!!

Then there was the last hour, normally one of my best contest hours. But
something happened to the bands. The only stations I could hear were K1TTT,
K5MR, and a couple of PYs that I had worked in the first hour of the contest.
So I didn't work a single station!

10 M opened enough for me to work a few LUs and PYs and pick up Zones 4 and 5.

On 160 my thanks goes to KH7U for trying mightly to copy my 5 watt signal and
giving the effort far more time than I deserved. But my signal just wasn't
quite strong enough to make it.

Contacts I was most proud of were VK6AA on 40 meters, and later on 20 meters
long path on Saturday afternoon. Also 9J3A on 15 meters and 9L5A and 5N7M on 20
meters. I was thrilled to work ZS4TX late Friday night on 20 meters, and then
stupid enough to dupe him on Sunday after afternoon.  Sorry!

Thanks to all the stations who had to struggle to copy my 5 watt signal. Thanks
to K1TTT, K5MR, NR5M, K6XX, N6TR, K7CS,K0RF, and NZ1U who struggled to copy my
weak signal and log me just to give me a zone or country I needed and was
certainly no benefit to them at all. THANKS GUYS!!!

73 and see you in the ARRL DX contests!

Bill Parker,  W8QZA qrp