[3830] CQWW CW N2WN SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Dec 3 17:04:40 PST 2009

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N2WN
Operator(s): N2WN
Station: N2WN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Grainger County
Operating Time (hrs): ~32

  160:   56    14       26
   80:   67    18       36
   40:  210    27       85
   20:  262    27       88
   15:  147    25       66
   10:   19     8       10
------------------------------
Total:  770   119      311  Total Score = 883,220

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Rule number one, don't go into CQWWDX without a plan. I didn't and the first 24
hours were a real drag...

Spent waaaay too much time on 160 and 80 the first night, I was glad I didn't
go SOSB this year. The dependable QSOs from past years didn't even hear me. It
was disappointing because they were easy copy and the bands were nice and
quiet. I couldn't believe how many loud JAs were on 160, managed to work one of
the weakest ones, go figure.

40 was outstanding, even if I was just a SWLer. I heard China for the first
time since the Olympics, didn't work them, but that's OK. Worked plenty of JA
stations, which isn't always that easy given the orientation of my inverted
Delta loop. The best new addition was a 1/4 wave vertical, made picking off
CA/SA stations much easier.

20 was 20, finally got something going there Sunday morning, was able to run
for a while.

I had hoped 15 would be a run band, but it wasn't, still with Sunday activity
all the way to 095, it was definitely healthy. Plenty of EU and SA to work.

Kept checking 10 and evidently missed brief EU opening. Was quite happy with
the SA stations and even happier when I ran across V51AS on my last sweep on
Sunday hoping to land a VE.

Almost went SO2R, but somehow corrupted my serial drivers trying to add a port
card. Need to do some more reading and figure out what I was doing wrong. Maybe
for RU.

It'll be interesting to see what ARRL160 has in store for us. Hope it's better
than it was last weekend.

Running an Elecraft K3
Inverted 40M Delta Loop up about 40'
Ground mounted HB 40M vertical
80M Tee 45' tall hanging off the side of the AB-621 mast
160M Tee abt 72' tall
4 element SteppIr @ abt 52' on the AB-621
N1MM software
Sony walkman headset, cheap but comfortable

Good to work all the familiar calls.
Best wishes for a safe an happy holiday season to all...

73 and thanks for a great 2009!

Julius
n2wn