[3830] ARRL 160 N0JK Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 6 07:00:01 PST 2009

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N0JK
Operator(s): N0JK
Station: N0JK

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: KS

Total:  QSOs = 18  Sections = 12  Countries = 0  Total Score = 216

I originally planned to deploy my balloon vertical for the 160 contest Saturday
evening  - but it was too windy. The only HF antenna I have up was a 35 ft.
piece of wire with the end tacked to our home. I used it in the CQ WW CW on 40
to give HC8GR a QSO.

So to hand out a few QSOs in the contest - I end fed the wire and connected it
to my tuner. No radials, just a ground stake. I was able to get the SWR down to
1.5 to 1. Ran QRP as higher power was causing the house lights to dim. But
unsure if anyone would hear me as the efficiency of this antenna is very low on
160M.

Despite being QRP and a very lame antenna, I made 18 QSOs from 0150 - 0300 UTC
Dec. 6. Best DX was TN, MI and AL. Almost logged "the Green Hornet" W3GH but
QSB too much.