[3830] ARRL 160 NX5M M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 6 08:05:23 PST 2009

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, N5XJ, KU5B
Station: NX5M

Class: M/S HP
QTH: TEXAS

Total:  QSOs = 1380  Sections = 79  Countries = 40  Total Score = 351,645

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I guess we all missed NT.  Where were they?
First time to do this one in a few years.  Now I remember why.  What a
frequency war!  I know it is bad enough to have limited space for everyone to
fit in but many stations just started cqing right in our face without ever
asking if the frequency was busy.  How can someone that is s9+ start calling cq
right on the same frequency, other than maybe listening in a different
direction?  Key suggestion here:  Ask if a freq is in use but listen in other
diretions before you go right into cq test.
It was an interesting Friday before the contest here as things we being made
ready....snow was falling and that certainly is not common for this part of the
country, especially this early in the fall/winter.
Beverage switch kinda went south on us during the second night so that is
something I will need to repair.  Think I will make a spare controller so that
it can be swapped and/or shared between 80 and 160 beverage systems if this
were to ever happen again.
Band sounded much better Saturday night to the west.  Friday night it just
sounded terrible.  I was a bit disappointed by the number of JA qsos...we
really expected more.
Next year the better transmit antenna will be finished so hopefully that will
be an improvement (it should).  Whether I will get as far as getting the 3
element parasitic array completed remains to be seen.
This was by far the best score ever for us in this contest.  I guess the work
on RX systems and a little better transmit antenna have paid off so far
therefore I am looking forward to the next improvements before next year.
Now, time to have breakfast and get some rest.
Hopefully see you all next weekend in the 10m contest.
Thanks for the q's and patience.