[3830] ARRL 160 KR2Q Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 6 08:07:51 PST 2009

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: KR2Q
Operator(s): KR2Q
Station: KR2Q

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: NNJ FN20ru

Total:  QSOs = 441  Sections = 46  Countries = 2  Total Score = 42,624

Different 160 contest than usual.  In the past, I am S+P 99% of the time.  This
time, I sat on one frequency and CQ'ed a lot...with decent results.  Called CQ
4,425 times which yielded probably the majority of my QSOs (3/4???).  Pushing
F1 is really boring.

Heard lots of DX (only worked VP5 and C6), especially EU.  Nice.

In the middle of contest, after a break, sat down and noticed SWR was through
the roof.  Ran outside and discovered snow - heavy, wet snow - had pulled the
already very low antenna onto the roof of the house.  Grabbed a low end and
shook the wire, which got rid of a lot of snow, but the antenna was still
sitting in the snow on the roof.  Had to pull on the rope holding the center
insulator to raise the antenna up about 5 feet so that it again cleared the
roof.  Couldn't raise it too much or it would run into the bottom of my HB
triband quad on the same tower.  But that did the trick and SWR was reasonable
again, although still over 3:1 above 1850, which is where I spent most of my
time.  Better than nothing.

Did not work even one W6 or W7 (except those portable in some other region).
Never even worked MO. MN was a real chore too (I don't know why...never been a
problem before).

One guy duped me 3x!  I put him in the log each time...easier.

But always fun to work the guys we know for a million years and exchange
greetings.

Antenna:  1/2 wave wire with center around 45 feet and ends 6 feet off the
ground.

Rig:  Elecraft K3/10 (qrp only version)

de Doug KR2Q