[3830] ARRL 160 K2DBK Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 6 09:52:09 PST 2009

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K2DBK
Operator(s): K2DBK
Station: K2DBK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NJ

Total:  QSOs = 251  Sections = 48  Countries = 5  Total Score = 24,816

This was the first 160m contest for me. Prior to the contest, I'd had a grand
total of 60 Qs on top band. I'm running 100W into a regular size G5RV which for
some reason seems to be able to tune up decently over enough of the band that I
can transmit without upsetting my radio, but I know that I don't put out much
of a signal. Given that THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! to all the stations
the took the time to pull me out of the noise. While I'd love to say that I
could work everyone that I heard, I was surprised at the how well I did do. I
was particularly surprised at the couple of sections that I worked on the west
coast given my working conditions.

Probably the most fun for me was to be able to get a run frequency fairly low
in the band at around 0200 local time and hang on for around an hour. I
certainly wasn't going to break any rate records, but I did have a fairly
steady stream of callers. Thanks again to those who put up with my weak signal
and pretty mediocre ability to copy CW in the noise.

Finally, thanks to my friend Larry, N4VA, for encouraging me to get on an "make
a few contacts" in the constest. I would have missed out on a lot of fun if he
hadn't encouraged me.