[3830] ARRL 160 N4KG M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 6 10:54:07 PST 2009

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG +PACKET
Station: N4KG

Class: M/S HP
QTH: ALA

Total:  QSOs = 557  Sections = 76  Countries = 21  Total Score = 114,751

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

I started out doing S&P with 100W.  After hearing a WTX station answer someones
cQ around 1871, I moved up to 1875 and began CQing, hopeing to attract him.  No
such luck, but I did manage to work 111 stations in the next 60 minutes with
calls from ENY NLI SB AZ UT for 5 new sections.

>From the packet spots, it seemed that the Best EU opening was during my run
(and I did make a few excursions with VFO B to pick up some).

Saturday night I again started out S&P but settled just above 1850 for almost 2
hours.  Got calls from EB (NR6O) and SDG (N6ND) and VE4EAR for new ones. Run
rates were 79 and 74 for those 2 hours (until my F3 and F4 keys went into
continuous mode and had to resort to separate keyer / paddle).

Missed NNY (are there more than 3 stations active from that section?),
VE5, VE8/VY1, and KP4 (what's with THAT?).

Only used my NE Beverage a few times to help verify some EU DX.
NEVER used a Beverage for NA. Only used my AMP to work DX outside NA (except my
first KL7 and VO).  Later worked those sections barefoot to complete WAS LP.

Equipment Used:

Icom 746 with Cascaded 500Hz filters narrowed by PBT plus audio peak filters of
320 and 160 Hz BW.  I like 300 Hz BW for S&P.  The 160Hz Audio Filter worked
surprisingly well at helping to copy weak DX close to stronger signals.  K4TD's
S9+60 dB signal did NOT bother the RX.  The Icom 746's are amazing mid-line
radios.

B&W PT2500 (pair of 3-500's) 1000 to 1200W

Inverted L (East)
Elevaed GP (West)
Common Reflector (130 ft tower with 3L15 on top) halfway between Driven
Elements

Tom  N4KG  in North Alabama