[3830] ARRL 160 K9AY Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 6 13:32:17 PST 2009

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K9AY
Operator(s): K9AY
Station: K9AY

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 1674  Sections = 79  Countries = 42  Total Score = 460,284

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

A personal best by a large margin!  Friday was an 8-hour adrenaline rush. First
QSO was AA0CX in ND, first DX a few minutes later (F5NTY). Hit 1000 QSOs just
before then end of hour #8.

A few interesting things...

Several over-the-pole Zone 17/18 Russians, and "daytime" QSOs from SM & OH.
Perseverance award goes to RX0AE who called me off and on for nearly an hour
Sun. a.m. -- I would get a snippet now and then, and he finally got through on
a QSB peak.

Fri. was frustrating when the waves of propagation were strong to EU -- worked
some, but also could hear the distant buzz of many more callers. 165 DX QSOs
isn't too bad out here in the Black Hole.

NNY was my last Section mult (no NT). Rarest sections (one each) were VI, MB,
NL. Nice to get a backup PR Section QSO from GITMO.

Station:  (2) IC-765, Alpha 99, 100' top-loaded vertical, (5) 1-wavelength
Beverages.

73, Gary
K9AY

(Note to self:  Ears worked fine, fist did not -- practice sending CW with
paddles before the next contest)