[3830] ARRL 160 ON4UN Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 6 14:25:25 PST 2009

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: ON4UN
Operator(s): ON4UN
Station: ON4UN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 524  Sections = 62  Countries = 0  Total Score = 64,976

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

This is one of the 160m contests I like best. At my age (approaching 70), I can
still manage this contest all by myself. Conditions were very similar to last
year. I made the same number of QSOs but worked 9 more sections, so my score is
up 12 %, which is great. Best stations: NL7Z (AK), K7RAT (OR), 6 CA stations, a
bunch of AZ stations, 2 stns in MT, but NO VE6, VE7, WA, WY, ID ... and no
KP4...Had all mults in 1,2,3,4,5,8,9 area, and missed only ND in the 0-area. It
was fun. I now have two end-fire phased Beverages (290 and 310 deg) and they
hear extremely well. Rig: K3 (of course! I still use a single full size
vertical on a bed of radials... Greatest desilusion: missing one CA mult from a
station (won't quote his call) who was 2 S-units louder than any other W6, but
did not copy any of the many Eu stations calling. I called him one and off for
more than a half hour...  He was a real crocodile... Too band as he would have
been a section multiplier.
General operating practice has improved over the years and most USA stations
hear much better than many years ago. Only bad manners from both HC2SL and
ZF2AH who came right on my running frequency to (try to) steel it. Asking
gently to QSY did not impress them. The operators far from impressed me!
BTW, 77% of the 540 QSOs were made on my running frequeny (either 1830 or 1834)
and 23% by S&P. I enjoyed this contest, which goives me the opportunity to say
hello to my many USA and Canadian friends and to work a few stations I never
worked before. Thanks for calling me, and CU in 2010.