[3830] ARRL 160 W6RA Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 6 21:47:46 PST 2009

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W6RA
Operator(s): W6RA
Station: W6RA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Bend, OR
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 134  Sections = 55  Countries = 2  Total Score = 15,070

ARRL 160 Contest at W6RA
QTH Bend, OR

single op low power

CLAIMED-SCORE: 15070

QSO's = 134  Sections = 55  Countries = 2  Claimed Score =15070

Equip: IC-746PRO 100w to AC-4 tuner w/ 165' end fed wire & one 125' radial.
Station was located at my garage workbench and my entire 11 hours operating
time was spent standing up with average inside temperature there 45 degrees,
a good way to stay awake. The wire has about 35' of vertical component and is
fed directly from the station via 12' coax and ceiling mounted AC-4.
Didn't stay up all night or get up early.  Worked JA3YBK and PJ2T, both easy.
No HI or AK heard.  Wish I could have worked more VE's; worked several
VE3's and they were all only S5 but they heard me in one call so they
were either QRP/low or using good receive antennas, I think. Thanks to all
out there with good ears and who were patient with my probably mediocre
at best signal.

This is a great contest. Hopefully by next year I will have a coax fed
inverted L with at least 50' of it vertical with some radials and fed from
the main shack where I can use my K3. On a half acre lot with pine trees
this should be is easily doable. But in a"no antenna" neighborhood I also
need to keep things low key.

73 Randy