[3830] ARRL 160 K3KU Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Dec 7 07:54:45 PST 2009

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MDC

Total:  QSOs = 152  Sections = 36  Countries = 1  Total Score = 11,359

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Just a little fun Saturdy night.  Last 160 'Test, I fed the 90-ft dipole as a
dipole.  My TS-850's tuner could not match it in the automatic mode, but I
figured out how to get a match in the manual mode.  OOPS!!  Burned out the 160M
coil.  This year I figured out how to run the tuner in auto, stopping it when
the SWR got "low enough", with the dipole feedline shorted together (and the
house AC for ground).  Of course, lots of retuning as I moved up and down the
band.  I was running anywhere from 25 to 90W.  The "fresh meat effect" even let
me get some runs going.  However, there is a lot of noise here, and in addition
for about 5 weeks I have been coping with some kind of all-band splatter from
the nearby 50KW AM BC station on 1500 KHz.  That QRM was also making the
signals buzzy.  I'm sure I was something of a baby alligator.  At one point I
wound up running very close to AD4EB's freq.  I could barely hear him, so I
figured he could not hear me.  Oops, again.  I heard him well enough when he
asked me to QSY.  Sorry, OM.  But maybe I should take it as a compliment to my
signal.