[3830] ARRL 160 K0RF(W0UA) Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Dec 7 14:20:10 PST 2009

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K0RF
Operator(s): W0UA
Station: K0RF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CO

Total:  QSOs = 1429  Sections = 76  Countries = 39  Total Score = 355,580

Ill-conceived, misguided & poorly executed. That was my attempt to get a couple
hours of sleep on Saturday morning. Never happened!

This was a VERY last-minute decision. I thought Charlie & I would do a little
multiop-thing; but he had a minor setback with his back-trouble while
stretching
to reach a rotator-control during WW CW & decided discretion was the better
part of valor. I was pretty contested-out after CW SS and WW...but it's like
offering "just one more drink" to an alcoholic. Barkeep!

Had the usual fast start Friday night but didn't do enough DXing. Also, only a
handful of JA's. I'll get 'em tomorrow AM, right? Saturday night started with
the band sounding dead to EU. But it slowly opened-up as the night wore on &
even had some nice EU folks call-in on my CQ's. I had the sense, though, that
there were more calling that I couldn't pull-out. Alligator complex; cold
sweat, tight muscles, head bowed toward RX. Shadowed the window more on the 2nd
VFO & that helped. That long, slow 160 QSB that we all know was augmented by
QUICK QSB. A nice EU would call-in & in the time it took to snap-off an
exchange he'd be plummeting back into the ether. SM2CEW & OH3XR called-in after
10Z, very cool! OK, worked hard both nights, earned a nice finish to JA.
But...where are they? No opening, no answers, no signals heard! Zip, zilch,
nada. Must've been a long weekend for them!  Had the thril of hearing, but not
working, JT1CO, too much daylight. Chuck & I had just seen his Alpha 87A, ready
to ship, at the factory in Boulder 3 weeks ago. It's working, OM!

My CQ QRG was tucked between AA1K just below & K3ZM just above. We coexisted
for a LONG time in gentlemanly fashion, no tricks, no games, no disputes. Hats
off to you fine & clean ops!

On another note: It was great to hear & work lots of Oklahoma stations, but I
missed one for sure. Ken, it's so hard to believe you're gone. We sure had some
fun, didn't we! May you be where the openings are long & the signals are
strong.

Thanks, Chuck, it was great fun. Thanks to all the callers-in & the exciting DX
for hearing us out here in the hinterland. BARKEEP...

Geo  W0UA