[3830] ARRL 160 AE5PW Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Dec 7 16:59:28 PST 2009

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: AE5PW
Operator(s): AE5PW
Station: AE5PW

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: ar
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 126  Sections = 39  Countries = 2  Total Score = 9,828

This was my first time participating in the ARRL
160m contest.  I had a great time.  I continue to be
amazed at what the Butternut HF9V vertical antenna
can do.   Working 126 stations with a 27 foot tall
ground mounted vertical and a FT950?  It was alot more than I
expected.  My antenna has very very limited bandwidth
so I worked between 1.800-1.820 for a while then
retuned the antenna for 1.840-1.860.  Almost all
of my QSOs were S&P.  I tried to call CQ for a few minutes
but realized that I can't hear very well with the vertical.
Maybe Santa will bring me an antenna tuner this year, so
I can work a larger portion of the band.    Thank you to
everyone who dug  my very weak signal out of the noise.