[3830] ARRL 160 VE7CC Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri Dec 11 13:21:07 PST 2009

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: VE7CC
Operator(s): VE7CC
Station: VE7CC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 23:28

Total:  QSOs = 919  Sections = 79  Countries = 13  Total Score = 176,548

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

K3 + Acom 1000
Tx ant 2x 1/4 wave slopers
Rx ant 2x 2 wire switchable direction beverages 500 ft long.

A day after the contest one of my beverages quit working.  A rodent had eaten
some of my coax feed line to it.  Thanks to him for waiting until the conest
was over.

Conditions to the east coast were quite good at times.  All other paths were
down from where they could have been.  I spent a lot of time S & P, when my CQs
went unanswered.  Last 2 sections worked were NL and KP4.  I found VO1TA shortly
after my sunset the second night.  He was weak, but heard me first call.  Later
on I found NP4A.  I kept hoping that my neighboring section of NWT would show
up.  But never heard anyone.  Ended up with 79 sections.  JAs were poor until
right at my sunrise the second morning, when they peaked up quite well.  Worked
14.  Have worked about 50 other years.

I worked 2 Europeans, SM5EDX 0510Z the second night and then RA4LW at 1445Z the
next morning.  ON4UN may think his beverages work great.  I called John for over
an hour off and on from 0530Z to 0630Z the second night. Most of time time I was
the only one calling.  I was sure I was going to get him at his sunrise peak,
but never heard him after 0630Z.    CT1JLZ was the loudest Eu, but he had a
huge pileup and never worked him.  Called many others.  None heard me.   Since
the contest I have worked many Europeans including 3 UA4 in 10 minutes the
other night.

My tx antennas are 2 quarter wave slopers from 90 ft.  One east and one west.
I have tried many other antennas on 160, but none work as well.  In the ON4UN
low band book he says that these antennas are basically omni directional unless
you have poor ground.  I have about 15 dB front to back.  I think my ground is
poor.  I need to put up a couple more, one north and another to the south!   My
drilled well of 300 feet only needed well casing on the top 10 feet to stop dirt
from falling in.  The other 290 feet of my well has no casing.  It is in solid
rock.  I find it hard to get a good ground for my beverages.  I can only drive
in ground rods 3 feet.  Then solid rock.  Above the rock is gravel, mixed with
decaying leaves/branches and other poorly conductive material.

A lot of fun as usual.

Lee