[3830] ARRL 10 KB9OWD SO Mixed LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 13 17:36:20 PST 2009

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: KB9OWD
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: WI

   CW:  201
  SSB:  263
-------------------
Total:  464    84  Total Score = 111,720

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

Friday night and Saturday were tough going.  Until 0100Z Sunday, I had about 50
QSO's.  That includes 12 hours Saturday, in the chair, minus one hour for
lunch, to make about 40 QSO's  Stations there for about 2 or 3 seconds and gone
for the most part.  Friday night, I got on late, about 0200Z and worked 3 hours
and 20 minutes for 12 QSO's.

Like someone flipping a switch, the band came to life about 0100Z Sunday and
was wide open to New England and stayed that way a few hours.  Had good rate in
the 90's to 100 an hour for a few hour stretch.  Worked until the band started
to go out about 0730Z and took 6 hours off.

Back on Sunday morning about 7:30 A.M. local and sat it out to the end, getting
up only to stretch and ocassional 3 minute restroom break.  Band was so so to
start.  About 1600Z, the band went wide open to FL.  It's was like the FL QSO
party for about 2 hours, working over 50 after not working 1 for the first day
and a half.  The band then swung west and the TX QSO party, or so it seemed,
took over.  No TX until Sunday morning and then over 80 Sunday afternoon.

The last hour rocked, still some rate and a bunch of mults.  Nothing like
adding a bunch in the last hour, leaves ya fired up.  Last 2 QSO's were MS for
a new one and MB with a minute and a half to go for another new one.  Sucessful
moves for LA on SSB and AR on SSB and CW in the last hour for double mults.
With 10 seconds to go, I found an XE on 28.056 area.  He came back to the call
and while starting the exchange, the finish bell hit.  We parted ways with a
73, not finishing the qso, which for me was a mult, but doing it the way it
should be!

Missed CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, ID, NV and MO for states.  With the exception of
OR, I never heard a peep out of the rest.  I heard 1 station in OR Friday
evening S & P but could never get in the right spot ahead of him.  Also heard
BC calling CQ Friday night.  Got a KB9? back, I replied with the call and he
was gone, never heard another.

One visit from murphy on Sunday afternoon as the rotor locked up and would not
turn.  This happened with only about an hour and a half to go and the beam
pointed SW, so just fine as that is where the band was open.  We had freezing
rain Saturday night, thawed Sunday but about 2230Z it got slick here and all
the moisture froze up.  I think that is the culprit here but not sure, will
require some more investigating to make sure that's all it is.

Thanks to everyone for the QSO's.  Happy Holidays and a safe and happy new
year.  See you all in 2010 starting in January with NAQP.

73

Ryan KB9OWD