[3830] ARRL 10 K2PS SO Mixed LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Dec 15 19:45:25 PST 2009

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K2PS
Operator(s): K2PS
Station: K2PS

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: DC

   CW:  161    38
  SSB:   64    15
-------------------
Total:  225    53  Total Score = 40,916

Operated from my son's place in DC with a dipole up about 30 feet.  The DC mult
seems as if it should be worth something, but if the only stations that hear
your CQ are local, it's not worth much.  But it's fun to make others happy with
a new mult during the limited time frames when propagation expanded.

After banging my head against the wall Friday night and Saturday, I called it
quits and left around 7PM local.  Went back to my place and took a nap at about
830, which turned out to be a night's sleep when I woke up at 2AM.  Ugh!  Just
for fun I checked out packet and realized that I missed the big opening, which
of course had ended by then.  I should know by now that 10M, like 6M, can open
at any time and ya gotta be ready.  That's easier to do when your station is
competitive, but with slightly more than 100 Qs by that point it's hard to stay
excited.

Sunday was way better, relatively, with a Caribbean opening around 1445Z,
followed by a South American opening starting around 1945Z and lasting almost
until the contest ended.  Wound up working 39 DX stations.

The high point, aside from getting a chance to work all those PVRCers I had met
earlier in the week, was getting moved to SSB by KD0S in South Dakota.  (They
really, really like me!)  But as I learned, the DC mult is really only worth
something when you're calling CQ, and if no one hears you then it's just like
being in SNJ!

Pete, K2PS