[3830] ARRL 10 VE6TL SO CW HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri Dec 18 11:07:20 PST 2009

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VE6TL
Operator(s): VE6TL
Station: VE6TL

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Calgary

   CW:  60     10
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  60     10  Total Score = 2,400

I listened off and off all weekend on 10m and heard virtually nothing.  The MUF
was way below 28 MHz, but I thought, what the heck - why not call CQ and see if
anyone comes back?  Around 5PM on Saturday (local time) I went into the CW
portion of the band, figuring this has a better chance of success than SSB, and
called CQ.  Not using spotting clusters and not hearing anybody, I just hoped
that I wasn't CQing on top of somebody.  So every few minutes I QSY'd a little
bit, just in case.  Then suddenly, a W6 came back to me - never mind that I was
pointed at Florida.  So I swung the TH6 around and worked several more 6's.
Then someone called me from AZ and another from NE.  This mini Es opening was
just what I was hoping for.  I tried off and on the rest of the weekend but
didn't have very much success.  When things did work, it was like a door
opening and they were loud.  Then they were gone just as quick.  I even worked
Mexico!  I'm sure a lot more people called me than I could hear, but that is
the nature of the "RF marshmallow" we live under in this part of the world
(Alberta, Canada).  It also goes to show that you won't succeed if you don't
try.  Thanks to all those who pulled my weak signal out of the mud.

73,

Jerry
VE6TL