[3830] 9A CW DK6XZ(E77XZ) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Dec 21 12:09:06 PST 2009

                    Croatian CW Contest

Call: DK6XZ
Operator(s): E77XZ
Station: DL0MB

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Rastatt, JN48cu
Operating Time (hrs): 23h 45

   10:    4     2
-------------------
Total: 1249   225  Total Score = 876,375

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Last year in Varazdin I got infected with Croatian CW Contest fever, being
cordially wellcomed there by the great guys and the team of 9A7A ( aka
9A60A/9A800VZ ). Enjoyed my stay with them very much and got some new friends.
So Sam, Darko, Vinko and Chris, thank you on everything.

As for me the contesting is about having fun and not only to win, the decission
for this weekend´s effort was to go SOAB - roughly setting the targets that I
found to be realistic to be driven with our very fine but yet not a
superstation of DL0MB: up to 1400 Q, 200+ Mults, close to 5000 Q-Pts and close
to total of 1 Mio. Pts. For the details I was refering the 3830 claimed scores
of last year´s top participants within the entered category ( RD3AF (RD3A),
OM3RM (@OM8A) and UW2M (UR0MC)).

It was a nice challenge to come as close as possible to the figured
band-targets, allways taking into consideration the actual band and activity
constellation. If I would not have forced the hunt on cluster spotted
multipliers ( but using SO1R ) and often checked the 20/15 ( even 10m ) band
and stayed there that much, instead to go to 40m runs more often and longer
over the day ( as our station with OB40-4 at 33m performs its best on that band ),
the overall total would have resulted most probably slight higher, but not very
much closer to 1 Mio. Pts. Even a good multiplier score made, a dosen or two of
(EU) easy ones were not logged due to missed automation of the station ( SO2R,
skimmer ) or because, concentrated on the running-band-pileup, I decided to
work them "something" later then their DXcluster spots appeared. Moving
stations from band to band would be serious job with SO2R only ( and the
correspondents supposed, for instance, would have some 160m-antenna ;-)).

Quintessence: A CW-contest that is for it worth to stay in chair the whole time
and to plane certain technical changes on the station for the next event.

I wanted the fun and I got it. Thank you all of you fine CW operators and
enthousiasts for the contribution in this nice game. High level of CW-skills
are shown within 24 hours of the contest. Many friends I met, so it was great.
Amazing day-performance of 40m with JA and W´s to be heard with very good
signals. Pitty that hoped number of "6-pointers" from W/VE have not found the
way into my log over the night. South America was somehow poorely represented.

May be the organizers would need to propagate/stimulate the contest over there
even stronger.

The organizer, by the way, the Croatian Amateur Radio Association, have
prepared a great amount of plaques that are donored in and granted for various
categories, appearantly counting that the number of contest participants is
going to grow even further. So will look forward to hearing you next year
in...

Fabian ( DJ1YFK at DL1A ) have really impressed me with his SOAB-LP climed score
figures. A greatelly operated superstation Fab! Congratulations to all the top
scorers.

See you on the bands

73 Suad, DK6XZ ( E77XZ )