[3830] TBDC KR2Q Single Op QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Dec 27 06:21:54 PST 2009

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: KR2Q
Operator(s): KR2Q
Station: KR2Q

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: FN20RU

Total:  QSOs = 142  Total Score = 1

Put up a new inverted L (65 feet vertical, rest mostly horizontal).  Good SWR,
but was never better and usually worse than my very low dipole (center at 45
feet, ends at 6 feet).  What a disappointment.

Band was very noisy.  Even with the attenuator on (Elecraft K3), noise was S5.
Despite noise, heard lots of Europe all over the band.  But being QRP, only
managed to work three: SK3W, OZ7YY, and my best DX, OK7XX.  The first two took
a several calls for them to get me, but then went OK.  OK7XX got my callsign on
one call, but then took almost 5 minutes to copy the exchange.  But we both hung
in there and he finally got it (whew!).

Went to bed around 0600z Sunday as DX was going away and with QRP, well, it was
just tough going and sleep looked real good.  Got back on the radio at 1215z and
the noise was GONE (just S1)!  What a difference!!  Of course, by then, it was
all locals for me.  Spent another 45 minutes CQing with 17 more Q's in the
log.

Wish I knew what my score was.  :-)

de Doug KR2Q