[3830] CQ160 CW K7DR Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 2 03:15:59 EST 2009

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K7DR
Operator(s): K7DR
Station: K7DR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MI

Total:  QSOs = 159  State/Prov = 43  Countries = 7  Total Score = 19,850

I have been a ham since 1970 and never HEARD, let alone WORKED any European
staions on 160. The night before CQWW 160 I worked OZ, CT3 and several G's
around their sunrise, and did it rather easily some peaking well over S9. I was
lucky that the condx continued into CQWW 160 and worked Europe again in between
all the very strong NA stations. I agree with the many others who commented
that these were probably once in a lifetime condx, it only took me 39 years to
work Europe on 160, with a low dipole and 100 watts!

Dave - K7DR near Detroit, MI

Station:

IC735 to a 160m dipole at 30ft, with the ends at 10ft squeezed into a
horizontal "U" shape in my urban lot.

In the wintertime I add a couple 70 ft lengths of wire to the ends of my 80m
inv vee.