[3830] NCCC Sprint W6YX(N7MH) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Feb 6 01:29:59 EST 2009

                    NCCC Sprint -Feb 6

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 0:30

Total:  35     19  Total Score = 665

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I got to the W6YX station about 5 minutes before the NS started.  Dean, N6DE,
was already there and had one radio set up.  Dean offered to let me operate and
I quickly set up the other radio and an audio switch since I wanted to try
practicing SO2R.

The first 3 minutes were lost because I had inadvertently set the audio switch
to listen to radio B, but I was trying to call stations on radio A which I
thought I was listening to.  My apologies to anyone I may have interfered with
on 40 in those first few minutes.

Once I was listening to both radios I called a southern CA station on 20 who
came right back but then required 3 repeats of my exchange due to the weak
backscatter.  N6RO was persistently calling me through the repeats - sorry,
Ken, for the long delay.

It was about then that I realized that I wasn't able to easily copy on the
other radio while transmitting because I had neglected to rewire the cabling to
go through the ICE 419 bandpass filters.  That was the end of SO2R.

With everyone squeezed into such a narrow band on 40 it was hard to pull
callsigns out of the pileups and it also made for many lost jump balls.  I had
a bad start when I switched to 80, realizing something was wrong when W6NL came
back to a K4 instead of me.  I hadn't switched all the antenna switching
required to get to the 80 CW antenna and was still using the 40 meter beam.
The SWR looked OK so it took a few calls before I realized my mistake.

I guess it's better to do this stuff in a practice sprint than in the real
thing.  If I'm able I'll try to join in tomorrow also.  Thanks to all for
bearing with my many QLF moments this evening.  I'm looking forward to
Saturday.

73,
-Mike, N7MH