[3830] RTTY WPX VE4EAR SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 16 12:58:13 EST 2009

                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:

   80:   82   310
   40:  238   962
   20:  235   506
   15:   26    65
   10:    0     0
-----------------
Total:  581  1843  Prefixes = 268  Total Score = 493,924

Probably one of the worst contests propagation wise for the last couple of
years. On Wednesday and Thursday leading up to the contests, there was great
openings to EU and AS on 20, 40 and even 80m.

Unfortunately during the contest period, there was practically no opening to EU
or AS from here due to Aurora. Beautiful light show even here in the city. I was
only to work a handful of powerhouse stations in EU, and only with much
difficulty. I could copy many EU stations, but all with very strong polar
flutter. No problems working anything south of 60 degrees from here, EA8 and
south. Likewise, to the west, there was a very brief JA opening but much weaker
than normal.

On 40m there was not even a peep of EU or JA stations. Low noise floor for a
change, just no propagation due to the large RF attenuator overhead.

Even 15m was open quite well to SA and the Carribean. Heard several VE3, VE5
and VE7 stations on backscatter but they could not hear my 100W signals.

Plenty of good domestic NA signals, nice to see so many new comers again.

Lets hope propgation get better for the March contest rush.

73

Ed