[3830] ARRLDX CW N4YDU SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 22 20:00:27 EST 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N4YDU
Operator(s): N4YDU
Station: N4YDU

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: NC

   10:    4     3
-------------------
Total: 1260   309  Total Score = 1,168,020

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Another great time. I was worried I would be too tired, but conditions were just
interesting enough to keep my interest. My antenna system continues to evolve as
time moves on. Lately I've been going with the strategy of high as possible and
simple for antennas...it seems to be working.

10M - ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss....I lucked out and caught a 15
minute opening to South America on Sunday afternoon around 2115z.

Antennas: Dipole NE/SW at 45 feet, Dipole NW/SE at 80 feet

15M - better than last year, I had a nice little run for about 40 minutes to
Europe on Sunday. I was really surprised to get answers to my CQs due to such
poor band conditions.

Antennas: Dipole at 65 feet NE/SW, Dipole NW/SE at 80 feet

20M - The big band. Runs were really nice the first day and OK the second day.
JA was strong both days late in the evening. I worked about 30 of them...that's
a lot for me! Western Europe was strong in the mid to late afternoon. Eastern
Europe was great in the morning.

Antennas: Rectangle loop at 60 feet fixed NE/SW. Dipole at 80 feet, fixed
NW/SE

40M - Not too exciting...but reliable...one JA

Antennas: Two halfsquares (NE/SW, NW/SE) plus 80 meter inverted VEE

80M - Great conditions the first night, with no noise.

Antennas: full size 1/4 vertical with three 1/4 wave radials 10 feet off the
ground along with an 80 meter inverted vee at 55 feet (N/S)

160M - Fun time, worked 45 Europeans.

Antenna: Inverted L (75 feet vertical) with 12 radials

Main rig: ICOM 765

Second rig: Kenwood TS 450 with a hustler 4BTV vertical and 3 element tribander
at 24 feet fixed south. Came in handy to check for mults.

Note: The dipoles are made of aluminum tubing, which makes them very easy to
hang from one support and turn if needed.

WriteLog software