[3830] ARRLDX CW K1LT SOSB/160 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 22 21:24:47 EST 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: Ohio

Total:  236    66  Total Score = 46,332

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I ran Single-Op, Single-Band, High Power this year, as usual.

This year various family crises kept me from investing myself fully in
the contest.  I started a new job two weeks ago, and because of the
commute, I couldn't get home in time to be at the radio at the start.
I made it to the radio by 0041Z, so I hopefully didn't miss anything.

I had to take a parenting break for about an hour at 0216Z to read
bedtime stories and given hugs and kisses.  I manager to plod along
after that through European sunrise, amassing 120 QSOs and 57
multiplies the first night.  Conditions seemed routine.

Got up at my sunrise, but there didn't seemed to be anything that I
could find in 2 minutes that motivated me to wake up.  SO I went back
to sleep.

The second evening, I was monitoring the radio by 2100Z, but didn't
hear any Europe until 2355Z, which is not a good sign.  Conditions
were moribund until European sunrise when signals got a little
stronger and rates improved.  In fact, conditions might have been
better than the first night, or maybe participation was better.

Went to bed at European sunrise and got up before my sunrise.  There
was a pile chasing VK6HD, but I could not copy him through the noise
that has been constant this season coming from the west.  This noise
seems to be power line noise and it raises the noise floor almost 20
db.  I think it might be coming from the sub-station about 2 miles to
my west, but it also may just be propagating along high voltage the
lines into that location.  I did work a couple more KL7s, another KH6,
and another V31.

Got back on at 2300Z expecting to work maybe a couple of Europeans,
but the band was really hopping.  This hour turned out to be one of
the best last hours ever, including 2 new multipliers and a new band
country.  SV9AHZ called me but he did not give me a power, unless he
is running 73 watts.  I put him in the log anyway, assuming that the
contact will net 0 points for a broken exchange.  I had 10 QSOs in the
last hour.

Including SV9AHZ, I worked only 4 non-participants, not counting K5D
on SSB.  Thanks for the Qs.  I emailed my phased array QEX article,
too

Equipment: Icom IC-765, ETO 91B (K8ND loaner), 8 element phased array
and SDR receiver, 12 Beverages (2 broken), 65 foot "T" vertical and 80
radials, 2 computers and keyboards, 3 screens.  2 children, 3 cats, 1
mortgage, 2 jobs, 3 cars, etc.