[3830] ARRLDX CW VA7ST SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 23 00:51:58 EST 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: BC

  160:    5     4
Total:  688   163  Total Score = 332,031

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

Gear:
* FT-2000 + SB221 (~500-700w)
* N1MM Logger, no telnet
* 3 ele. tribander @ 45'
* 40M 2-el. vertical array for EU
* 40M 2-el. half-square array, E or W
* 80M 2-el. vertical array, E or W
* 160M inverted-L 75' vert, 65' droopy horizontal
* 270' Beverage due east -- the only direction it'll fit :)

Highlights:

* Some juicy DX from VE7
* Solid 2-hr-plus EU openings both mornings
* 40M and 80M conditions

Lowlights:

* SFI=70, A=4, K=1>3>0 (no help from Cycle 24 yet, again)
* 15M mostly dead, moments of life
* Getting elbowed by 5-watt stn 5,000 miles away in Portugal

Only had one goal: beat last year's totals, which weren't my best-ever.
Instead, I blew by last year on Saturday afternoon, and topped my personal best
(which was low power) with six hours remaining, but only ended up with 31,000
more points despite higher power. Conditions were very bleak last year, but
rather good this year considering SFI was just 70. Low bands generally had
minimal noise on the short Beverage.

Ran the first evening 20M low-power (precuationary measure as I had the
tribander aiming at JA towards the neighbour's house). Enjoyed a great run of
about 60 Asian stations with 100W and for a while had thoughts of running all
weekend without the amplifier.

When I went to 40M at last (0200z), I could hear Europe off the side of the
twin half-square array (aimed SE) but didn't have any antenna to point over the
pole. So in almost-dark and through shin-deep snow, I ran out to the piney woods
and pulled the twin-vertical wire array into the air -- it's pointed at EU, and
figured it would net a few good mults. Decided to go QRO to help out, and it
did, though it was still hard work and I didn't get nearly the 40M multipliers
I needed: 31 is down a long way from 46 two years ago.

Heard a very loud VE4EAR work a TM6 on 40M Saturday afternoon (though nothing
heard on my subwoofer). I tried the TM next but no luck. Wasn't until hours
later that I finally jostled enough electrons over the pole to work France on
40.

Odd conditions on 40M Saturday night, as EU was apparently coming out of the
northwest. The EU (30-degrees) antennas were hearing a lot of noise burying EU
signals, but the JA-facing half-squares were hearing EU stations well, though
most couldn't hear me even with a KW stuffed into the wire. Same thing Sunday
evening, though not as pronounced. Just me and wonky wires, or did anyone else
see a skew far to the west?

First night on 80M was really great on the twin vertical array. Felt loud SE
and NW. I've never landed more than 25 mults on 80M, so 35 was a welcome total.
(Listening to Peter ZS1JX working stateside on 80M as I write this 0445z 8:45
p.m. Sunday evening -- he uses phased twin verticals too).

Saturday and Sunday mornings brought strong EU openings on 20M -- 1500z to
1730z on Saturday, 1530z to 1800z Sunday. Saturday morning, after a first pass
across the band, I went up high and ran. Did the same thing Sunday morning, but
the opening wasn't as strong and stations not nearly as plentiful. Could tell
when I was spotted as I'd get flurries of activity, then a few minutes of empty
CQs.

Was thrilled to have Djibouti J28 call in on 20M. Worked a 4X4 for the first
time in ages. Aimed at ZS around local noon but no joy this time. Shocked by
R1ANB calling in while I was running EU (tnx Nikolai). On 40M was nice to see 3
YBs, 2 VKs and 4 ZLs.

Good strong JAs (18) on 80M, along with EA8, CT, CT3, OK and D4, all of which
are long-haulers from VE7. 160M DX saw just three KL7s, PJ2T and 6Y1LZ -- heard
many more Caribbean stations but 100w to a minimal inverted-L didn't cut it.
Plenty of room for improvement :)

Put in 19.5 hours. Took lots of naps, watched some great movies on TCM, and
never felt compelled to stay at the radio when rates were low. Took major sleep
breaks during 80M and 40M quiet times, though I did miss some action to Asia
both mornings.

A few stats...

           Total Qs   JA    I   PY    G   DL
Saturday        425   81   20   16    9   34
Sunday          263   56    7    3   18   27

20M EU opening   Sat.   Sun.
1500z             51     44 Qs
1600z            105     78 Qs
1700z             25     37 Qs

Year   QSOs  Mults   Score
----   ----  -----   -------
2009   688   163     332,031 HP
2008   504   156     235,872 HP
2007   609   157     286,839 HP
2006   571   176     301,488
2005   444   167     222,444
2004   307   132     121,572
2003   235   122      86,010

Year-by-year band comparison, Qs / mults

              HP       HP       HP       LP       LP       LP
Band        2009     2008     2007     2006     2005     2004
====     =======  =======  =======  =======  =======  =======
160M       5/  4   10/  7    0/  0   1/  1     2/  2    5/  4
 80M      69/ 35   53/ 25   28/ 20   30/ 24   19/ 17   22/ 19
 40M      86/ 31   72/ 37   73/ 40   84/ 46   69/ 38   33/ 24
 20M     489/ 75  342/ 74  453/ 73  344/ 64  213/ 59  120/ 52
 15M      39/ 18   27/ 13   50/ 22  112/ 41  123/ 40  105/ 25
 10M                                                   22/  8
Total    688/163  504/156  609/157  571/176  444/167  307/132

Biggest perennial missed opportunity: 160M. Must develop antennas there this
year. Looking at twin T-top verticals if I can get them up without unduly
affecting the 80M twin vertical array, which is working like a charm (and will
receive a third vertical for a triangular array this spring).

Once-and-for-all, I need to put up something that will work EU on 40M. Best
performer to EU so far was a 2-element inverted-V wire yagi I had up (at 50')
for the 2006 ARRL DX CW. Modeling suggests I could put that back up without
wrecking the half-square array's pattern to W/VE.

Lot of options left to consider. No tower capacity for anything up there except
a 40M rotary dipole. Hope to resurrect the hibernating "crappie rod" dipole this
spring. Even at only 55', over a 300' terrain drop to EU that low dipole was
quite useful last time I tried it. The more go-to antennas the merrier, I
guess.

More station info for those interested:
http://www3.telus.net/va7st

Thanks to everyone for the Qs. Looking forward to the next few weeks -- NAQP
RTTY, ARRL DX SSB, and RSGB Commonwealth Contest (BERU) with Team Canada. Then
a whirlwind visit to Atlanta (Mar. 18 and 19) and fly back to B.C. just in time
to turn on radios for Russian DX, followed by WPX SSB to close out March. Hoping
to visit VE7UF and crew for WPX CW in late May, and can hardly wait to discover
what a real contest station sounds like!

For the fourth year in a row, "conditions can only get better from here." (tm)

-- Bud VA7ST