[3830] ARRLDX CW PU2MTS SOSB/10 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 23 09:44:20 EST 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: PU2MTS
Operator(s): PU2MTS
Station: PU2MTS

Class: SOSB/10 LP
QTH: Campinas-SP
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  255    22  Total Score = 5,610

Club: RIO DX GROUP

Comments:

Patience and perseverance were the key works for one to participate
in ten meters band single operated category in this ARRL DX CW 2009.

I know that in the solar cycle minimum we could not expected so much
speciallly from 10 meters band but we always have a desire and hope
that any solar sunspot or an unexpected open helps to create any kind
of pile up or at least some stations to work in the search and pounce.

I started the carnival weekend with two objectives: work the contest
making at least 25 contacts and work K5D expedition in CW at any band
allowed for my limited license.

The first day (saturday) was terrible. Just five contacts with weak
signals in the contest and no signal from K5D. Thanks guys K8LEE, K3LR, NR5M,
W4KLY and K4WI. Without these contacts I really will start to check the
cables,
antennas and rig during all the night. You saved me to do that.

The goals seems very very distant at sunday morning. Just 8 hours before the
end of the contest I heard the first LU station. For sure it was LU1HF.
I was very happy since I thought the propagation was better than the last
day. Yes, but just for few moments due the fact that one hour in advance
the things came back to the normal. Band was dead again!

Exactly at 2035Z I worked K5D in 12m CW at the first attempt. Very nice, the
things start to change! Well, I hope to be in the log since it was not
available yet for this period.
I quickly came back to ten meters and the band was opened to North America.
It was around one hour of good propagation that resulted in 85 contacts
and 22 states.

Goals achieved! Again it was more than a good rig, antennas and operational
skills. It was about patience, just that.

Thanks for all the contacted stations. See you again in the SSB part in two
weeeks for more fun and ten meters patience :-))

My best regards,

Matheus - PU2MTS

P.S. Log already sent to ARRL and LOTW already updated including contest
contacts.