[3830] ARRLDX CW ZF2AM(K6AM) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 23 10:42:53 EST 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: ZF2AM
Operator(s): K6AM
Station: ZF1A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Cayman Is.

   40: 1309    59
   20: 1609    61
   15:  584    54
   10:    8     5
-------------------
Total: 4874   293  Total Score = 4,284,246

Club: Cayman Amateur Radio Society

Comments:

The two longest elements on the big log periodic were laying on the ground when
I arrived and 40 was shot.  Fortunately, it still played fine on the other
bands and the Pro67 at 65 ft was OK on 40.

Then about 5 hours in, the main radio (the one with the good filters) died.  It
took 10 min to re-wire the amp and there would be no SO2R when things slowed
down on the second day.

The low bands were great as the new 80 M and 160 antennas were playing very
well.  20 was consistantly good but very crowded when 10 and 15 were closed.
15 did not open at all until about 11 am, and then only very spotty.  Luckily
it broke wide open at about 3 both days for some fantastic runs.

Late on Sunday, I got a nudge from WX0B to try 10.  I heard lots of SA stations
running but rarely heard the stations they were working.  Tried CQ'ing anyway
and had a direct pipeline to Texas (remember the 10 M contest?).  Grabbed
another 4 mults at ESP level before the band shut back down. Sorry if we didnt
connect.

Thanks to all you rare mults for the moves and skeds.  Never heard NU or LAB
but got all the rest on most bands.

Now I hear the crane pulling up to take down the log.  Hopefully we can fix it
this week.  CU next weekend for the 160 SSB test.

QSL's go to K6AM direct, W6 buro or LOTW.

John
ZF2AM/K6AM