[3830] ARRLDX CW K2DM SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 23 12:31:20 EST 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K2DM
Operator(s): K2DM
Station: K2DM

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: NJ

   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  789   231  Total Score = 546,777

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

A couple of years ago I became the second of the Briggs brothers to win the QRP
plaque.  I was fortunate enough to win it again last year against stiff
competition from friends KR2Q and K3PH.  Doug, Bob and I have comparable
antennas, and we have had a nice, friendly rivalry going.

This year Peter (K3ZM - the self-proclaimed 'Beast from the Bay') decided to
try to become the third Briggs brother to win QRP.  Peter has quietly been
building a fairly competitive station on the Chesapeake Bay.  Last year he won
both modes of the CQ 160M contest, so his 160M antenna must be working, and he
has a 4-square on 80M to my low sloper.  Furthermore, his antennas on 10M-40M
are quite a bit higher than mine.  So he has better antennas than I have, and
he is an accomplished operator.  Whether he might win the category or not, it
was clear that I would need divine intervention to keep up with him.  And after
all, it IS all about ME, no?

So, I worked by behind off - slept less, ate at the desk, took fewer sanity
breaks - and I beat last year's score by 119 QSOs and 19 Countries.  It wasn't
good enough.  The 'Beast from the Bay' waxed me, largely courtesy of his
low-band performance.  Nice going, Ace!  I hope your effort wins.

QRP contesting continues to amaze me.  Sometimes I forget that the amplifier is
off and the power knob is cranked almost as far as it will go anti-clockwise.
Time and again I would jump into pileups and get through on the
first/second/third call.  Then, of course, there was the EL2 who didn't hear me
at all when I was calling one-on-one.  He was one of many, so I don't mean to
single him out, but I REALLY wanted that multiplier!  Propagation can be just
as frustrating as it can be rewarding.

George, K2DM