[3830] ARRLDX CW N7IR SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 23 15:57:50 EST 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N7IR
Operator(s): N7IR
Station: N7IR

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: AZ

Total:  467   177  Total Score = 247,977

Club: Central Arizona DX Association

Comments:

My best score in three years and first 48 hour all band contest since turning
60.  Made a few strategic and tactical changes in my game plan that payed off
with more fun and fewer potential keyboard face-plants.  The excellent low band
and decent 20 meter conditions helped a lot.  Most 160 meter contacts and
countries ever for me in an ARRL DX contest.  Signals on 160 from Alaska,
Hawaii and Japan were the strongest I've ever heard with some good ones from
the Caribbean and South America as well.  Missed the only 10 meter opening in
our area since I was too busy taking advantage of the simultaneous excellent 15
and 20 meter conditions.  Hope that this year is the end of the sunspot dearth
and 15 and 10 meters come back to life, since it's a lot easier to make
contacts with 5 watts at that end of the HF spectrum.  Thanks to those at the
other end of the contact who make this form of insanity possible.

Radios: Elecraft K2 and K3
Software: N1MM Logger V9.2.4
Antennas: 160 meter shunt-fed, top-loaded 22m tower; 80 meter delta loop(22m);
F12 EF240/230(26m), 5BA(22m) and C3S(12m)
Receive antennas: K9AY loop array and N6RK 160 meter tuned loop

73
Gary, N7IR