[3830] ARRLDX CW N8BJQ SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 23 22:20:36 EST 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N8BJQ
Operator(s): N8BJQ
Station: N8BJQ

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: OH

   20:  789   104
   15:   70    41
   10:    3     3
-------------------
Total: 1243   286  Total Score = 1,063,062

Club: SWODXA

Comments:

Much better result than I expected.  Spent most of Friday in a surgery waiting
room.  XYL had her gall bladder removed.  Was up most of Thursday night with
her.  Needless to say when we got home late Friday I did not get any rest.
Made it to 0530 before I crashed.  Planned to get up around 0900 - alarm went
off and I decided sleep was more imporant.  Finally got on about 1130.  Low
bands on Friday were very good - wish I could have made it longer.  20 was
great on Saturday - spent most of the day there with a couple of trips to 15
for some mults.  Heard a few EU - Called CQ with no takers so went back to 20
where I could run some and also found lots of new guys to work.

Ran a local skimmer along with telnet packet.  The skimmer worked pretty well
for a less than ideal setup.  It found stuff that was never spotted.  Worked
well for keeping the rate up when in S&P mode, and even found a few mults.
Saturday night was not as good as Friday on the low bands.  Lost interest at
0400 and slept until 1100.  The older I get, the more I like sleep!!.  Sunday
condx were okay but not as good as Saturday.  Only a few stns on 15.  Still
good runs on 20.  Finally heard 3 stations on 10 including TI5N's 5W signal.
Worked those - was hoping for a better opening but it did not make it to
Dayton.

Lots of busted spots on packet, especially on Sunday.  Skimmer was better (in
the paranoid mode) but still busted some also - usually when both calls were in
the master call file. I would expect all of the packet busts caused lots of
dupes in some logs and score reductions for those that did not listen.  Some of
the Sunday packet pileups were fun.  Things would go much quicker if some guys
would listen instead of constantly transmitting.

Nice to hear so many JA's on.  Was lucky enough to even work one on 15 on
Sunday evening.  Had a nice run of JA's and Asians on Saturday evening.  It
brings hope that better days are coming.