[3830] ARRLDX CW DL0MB(DK6XZ) SOSB/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 24 09:03:09 EST 2009

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: DL0MB
Operator(s): DK6XZ
Station: DL0MB

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Rastatt, S/W DL

Total:  901    55  Total Score = 148,335

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Hello!

This is the first time DK6XZ is entering seriously SOP a major contest
from Germany. As no prior experiences, it was a good contest to prove
the antenna performances, which should be expected to be good; DL0MB by
Mercedes-Benz Club Rastatt uses OPTIBEAM OB4-40 @33m!

The start was solid, with hours of 124/92/50/50.. QSOs. Next morning,
something at midday, 466 QSOs were logged. The try to work LP Saturday
afternoon was not successful at all. At SA/SU something happened at 02z:
had 760 Qs - the rates went down, from 90/60 hours before, to ~10 Q/h!!?
That kept on next 7 working hours. It was a rainy night: I consider, the
High-Power Lines ( 110/220 kV ), just 200 m away, may have infuenced the
antenna fields. Have anybody idea if/how that can be evtl. truth?
Similar happened to us already at our latest WAEDC MOP efforts ( DP6M )
- the sudden death of the band!?

Any how, previously highest expectations and targets set, were, since
these fact, only something to dream of.

As at Sunday afternoon in Internet I however found overview by DL1IAO,
saying that inofficial DL-all-time-record SO40HP in this contest is 940 Qs
and 57mpl, I was motivated again. Target of the Sunday evening - to get to
the DL-record!

It would may have happened even, when last two hours ( with hour totals
of 55/60 Qs ) rates were not hardly influenced by SN8/IR2/OE8/ZF2 sudden
claims of "my" 50 Hz. I sincerely apologize to a two dozen mid-west and
west-coast stations I was there not able to pull out from the QRM. The
opening was actually a very fine one! Especially upset I was to ZF2 call
of CQ in my zero-beat frequency and to the fact that all those guys ignored
any QSY/QRL signs and an obvious and to all of us non-productive QRM.

Well, on Monday, it was to read in this reflector: Ben, DL6FBL, set a new
DL-record, adding even 400 Qs to the old one!! Congratulations Old Man!
The extreme differance of 450 Qs  to favor of him may not be explaned
only with Ben´s world-class operating skills, but certainly a DR1A close
to Atlantic via PA flat land and their Beverage system too. Any how, great
performance done from Europe; OK5R with 5x5L seem to remain the top.

As usually, worked all dupes - to have dealed QSO total of 952!
FT-1000 MP performed well but needs narrower filters... + Beverages.

It was making fun, so thanks to all of USA/VE stns. to keeping us awaiken
trough this weekend. To my MB club friends and my family thanks for the
given support.

See you on the bands.

73 Suad, DK6XZ/E77XZ

PS: Very happy to have heard so many E7 stns working, activated by BHCC.