[3830] RTTY Roundup N6WG Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 4 20:47:48 EST 2009

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA

Total:  357  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 6  Total Score = 21,063

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

SOAPBOX: This was my first RTTY contest, and I entered it with no idea of
SOAPBOX: what to expect, especially as a QRP entry.  I noticed the rules
SOAPBOX: only have a HP and LP category, but I'll try slipping a QRP entry
SOAPBOX: in and see what happens.
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: What I enjoyed most about the contest was the activity level.  It
SOAPBOX: was enough to keep my interest up, even during my slowest hour.
SOAPBOX: Very little DX worked--only JA, KL7, KH6, XE, P4 and HI.  I did
SOAPBOX: hear TI and LU stations, but was never able to catch their attention.
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: Unlike cw or ssb where the operator's ears/mind combination do the
SOAPBOX: work, here it was done mainly by the RTTY demodulators in the
SOAPBOX: various logging packages.  I was really impressed with how well
SOAPBOX: they pulled my QRP signal out of the noise and made sense of it
SOAPBOX: for the operator.
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: I was actually able to have some short runs from CQing, maybe five
SOAPBOX: or six stations before running dry again.  Doing S&P, I was working
SOAPBOX: stations as fast as I could find them.  Best S&P rate I've had in
SOAPBOX: any contest.  This also produced my highest QSO count in the past
SOAPBOX: several years.  I was also able to walk the bands with my friend
SOAPBOX: Rusty, W6OAT.  We had already worked on several bands and decided
SOAPBOX: to fill in the blanks, just for fun and a few extra points.
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: I wasn't able to manage the off times in just two blocks--life gets
SOAPBOX: in the way.  I do wonder how others managed their time.  I did manage
SOAPBOX: to honor the 24 hours operating time though.
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: Now I'm curious to see how other RTTY contests go.  I'll be back to
SOAPBOX: try them now that I have a working, although elementary, RTTY
station.
SOAPBOX: Thanks to all those hard-working demodulators for the QSOs.
SOAPBOX: 73 and Happy New Year
SOAPBOX: Bob N6WG
SOAPBOX: The Little Station with Attitude