[3830] NAQP CW NC4KW(@N1LN) M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 11 07:46:12 EST 2009

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: NC4KW
Operator(s): N4YDU, W0UCE, K4QPL, N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: NC

   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total: 1685   223  Total Score = 375,755

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

First, thanks to Jack, Nate and Jim for making Saturday afternoon and evening a
totally enjoyable time.  The Qs were not always available at the rate we
wanted, but that is not the only goal of a multi-op entry.  We had a great
time.  Second, thanks to my wife, N1YXU - Laurie for keeping us well fed!

We started on 40 and 20 and expected the rate meter to just take off.  That was
not to be.  The first 4 hours of the contest were much less than we expected and
actually very slow.  By 2200 UTC we only had 424 Qs in the log.  40 was steady,
but nothing to be very pleased about and 20 was so slow it was easy to move
between 20 and 15 in an attempt to maximize the Q count before 15 was gone.
Then like a faucet just opened up, in hour 5 our 20 meter rate tripled and our
40 meter rate doubled.  There was hope yet.

The remaining 7 hours were much much better.  The 10 minute rate meter had many
occasions to bounce off the 400 per hour mark.  That is what we expected in the
beginning.   Those rates continued when we moved to 80 and 160.  Low band
conditions were so quiet we rarely had to use the beverages.

In the end we were all satisfied with our east coast Q count, but knew we
lacked multipliers, especially on 20 and 40.  Maybe next time?

This is one of my favorite contests, especially in the M2 class.  I am not a
QSK CW op, but Jack and Jim convinced me to give it a try.  That was even fun
with the K3s. The K3 receivers seem to make open frequencies much more
plentiful and weak ones stronger.  Another atta-boy for Elecraft.

We will be back next week in NAQP-SSB with a slightly different team.  See you
there.

73 for now,
Bruce - N1LN
(aka: NC4KW, Pat)