[3830] NAQP CW N9CO Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 11 13:09:15 EST 2009

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N9CO
Operator(s): N9CO
Station: N9CO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL

   15:    2     2
   10:    2     2
-------------------
Total:  755   157  Total Score = 118,535

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: SMC #2

Comments:

I made a bone-headed off-time error.  I planned to take my first 30 minute
break in the last half of the 1900 hour.  I looked at the 2nd to last qso in
the log instead of the last qso in the log to calculate the off-time.  Instead
of a 30 minute break, I had a 29 minute lapse in operating.  Ouch.  Correctly
took a 30 minute break (and them some) during the 2100 hour.  Took the
remaining 90 minutes in one chunk around supper time, and hung out with the
family, played Wii with the kids, etc.

Never heard much on 10 and 15.  Started off on 10m and it was nice to put
Steve, N9CK, in the log for the first qso.  Nothing much else heard... spent a
few minutes tuning around and then scampered for a fertile 20m run frequency.
I scanned 15 a few times, but heard very little.  It was fun moving John,
K9QVB
through all 6 bands early in the test.  I had a few moves later, of some
western states, from 80 to 40.  Always fun when these work out like they
should, and you come right back to your run frequency.

40 and 80 were in great shape here.  The recent snowfall has buried my 160m
inverted-L series-C box, and changed the tuning.  Probably got some snow in
there somewhere.  Changed the tuning enough so that the TS-930 had to decrease
power on that band.  Maybe 50w out max.  I could hear well, but got pushed
around a lot.  Lots of fills needed.

What's the deal with the digital stuff on 40m?  I was running, with good rate,
around 7038 kHz and a bunch of chirping crap kept coming on, trying to run me
off.  Seemed like the 14230 kHz SSTV mentality.  Is there some new "accepted"
mode arrangement on 40m that I'm not aware of?  Excuse me, but I *was* there
first.  Lids.

Mults way down this time.  I need a better 15m antenna.  The KT34-A, fixed
east at 37', doesn't quite cut it.

This is a great contest.  Right up there with CW SS.

73 es tnx for the Q's....

Charlie  N9CO