[3830] NAQP CW K6VVA Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 11 13:28:01 EST 2009

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: K6VVA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Locust Peak/Remote
Operating Time (hrs): 9:59

  160:   14     8
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  667   166  Total Score = 110,722

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team 3

Comments:

This was a 60% 'Field Day' activity via generator at my fledgling Locust Peak
remote site due to insufficient solar/battery power to operate the full
contest.  I came home before dark and mostly ran 50 watts via remote control
while keeping my fingers crossed that I had enough battery juice to finish.
Sometimes I did crank back up to 100w in order to make a few Q's when I
couldn't get through with 50w.

Fortunately the WX was clear yesterday and no new unwanted road surprises to
get up on the mountain and back before dark.  The Carolina Windom problems
didn't get resolved before the NAQP, however, so only made a few Q's on 160m
with about 25w to a very high SWR that the tuner wouldn't work.  Some folks
sure have good ears!  The little TH3, Jr. at 27 feet had no problems, except
only one signal was heard and worked on 10m {SIGH}.

Apologies to W5SG when the generator pooped out during our first QSO attempt.
It turned out that I QLF'd when putting the gas cap back on after refueling,
and inadvertenly flipped the ON lever to OFF on the top cap breather cap.  It
did seem strange that the Honda would quit so soon after refilling ;0(

I still don't have automatic software rig control via remote control and forgot
several times to manually change the band in WriteLog.  Double apologies to K4TD
for trying to Dupe him on two bands due to my QLF.

The software audio delays when operating via remote (even with a 1ms latency
link) are still not good especially for CW Contesting.  My quest for a
low-latency A/D processing direct Ethernet connection hardware audio solution
continues.

It never ceases to amaze me when some folks come back with a 'Tnx, Eric' (my
legal name which I have never used on the air), after I have actually sent my
name as 'Rick' --- apparently QRZ.COM gets polled for pre-fill purposes these
days. I think the following N0AX 3830 post comment deserves to be put on a nice
plaque and hung in a prominent place on a (virtual) wall in the Contesting Hall
of Fame:

'Folks, turn off the pre-fill.  Hear the signal, copy the signal - that's how
it works.'

Right ON, Mr. Wardster !!!

73 & Tnx for all the Q's...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust