[3830] NAQP CW KZ5D Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 11 21:12:10 EST 2009

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: KZ5D
Operator(s): KZ5D
Station: KZ5D

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LA

   10:    3     2
-------------------
Total:  869   192  Total Score = 166,848

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Team: Austin Powers Pickers

Comments:

Unbelievable! I was amazed at the conditioins during the evening hours. This is
the first contest I've ever operated that I had a higher QSO count on 80 than
on 20. In fact my best hours were runs on 80 with a half sloper on my one
tower. The 0100 Z hour was 114 and then 0200 hour was 137.  Of course, I
believed that 15 and even 10 would magically spring to life so I took off only
45 minutes during daylight. What a mistake. I had a lousy second hour of only
59 Qs and was thinking about throwing in the towel.  So I took a break but
returned thinking and hoping for that opening. When I realized I had another 1
hr 15 minutes to take off at 0245, I had to leave the best band openings.
Overall, I think this contest is all about off times and propagation. I'll be
better prepared in August. Thanks to all for the Qs and the handful of guys who
moved and we were able to communicate. Many of the guys who moved to 15 and 10
with me listened to silence. 73 de Art KZ5D