[3830] NAQP CW WI9WI Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 12 00:17:44 EST 2009

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: WI9WI
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WI

  160:    0     0
   15:   21     4
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  327    99  Total Score = 32,373

Club:

Team: SMC #2

Comments:

Somewhat low key effort from my house in Madison. Was going to go to the cabin
Friday afternoon for a more serious effort, but work and snow got in the way of
my enthusiasm. WinTest says I operated 7 hours, but it was probably less than 6.
Spent a fair amount of time tracking and fixing computer RFI issues and watching
football on and off for a while. Before I started I kind of arbitrarily decided
to work 100 QSOs each on 80, 40, and 20, and whatever I could on 15 and 10.

The bands were all long for me. In spite of checking it often in the afternoon
I never heard a signal on 10 except the usual birdies from the UW Research park
behind my house. I had a brief opening on 15, but all stations worked were in
AZ, CA or WA except for 1 WI on ground wave. Forty was long even in daylight,
and 80 was long by the time I got there. No antenna here for 160. Quite noisy
on 40 an 80 here, S4-5 most of the time.  Should have checked 80 and 40 earlier
than I did. I never logged a single station in IL, IN, MI, and IA in spite of
good activity in those very nearby mults. In fact I never even heard an MI or
IA, and only heard 1 each in IN and IL (K9BGL on 20 backscatter). I finally
worked a few WI and MN stations on 80.

The plusses included finally working out an interface problem I was having
between my computer and my K-3, and working a lot of old friends.

Gear: K-3, WinTest, C3S at 30 ft, 80/40 dipole at 25 ft.

73

Jim