[3830] NAQP SSB NX5M M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 18 02:37:46 EST 2009

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, N5XJ, KU5B, KJ5T
Station: NX5M

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: TEXAS

   10:    2     1
-------------------
Total: 2266   220  Total Score = 498,520

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

40m was no fun this year.  I do not think I have ever listened to 40 in a NAQP
with 2 hours left in the contest and hear such a lack of activity.  Bad for
everyone I guess.
80m beverages quit working minutes after we went to 80 but I did something,
whatever it was, and they came to life again only to quit again for the last
couple of hours.  I knew there were people calling but without these RX
antennas that work so well it was just hard to hear.  At least the band was not
as noisy as it could have been but I feel we missed some q's because of the
beverage failure.  Even if they had been working I do not think it would have
helped us to overcome the numbers that Charlie and Pat put up on 80 at
W5WMU....nice job boys!
We were just blacked out on 20m to part of the country having never worked AR,
MS, NM, OK, KS and MO.  On 40, despite the horrible conditions, we only missed
ND, NB, NL and QC and did not really expect to get anyone from NT, YT or NU.
We got all states on 80 except AK and never logged any NB, NS, NL, QC, SK or
the unexpected 3 mentioned above.  Getting 37 mults on 160 was ok I guess but
surprised to never work some that I expected to, such as ME, NH, RI, NJ, NY,
MD, NT, WA, WY and in all of that only one VE province, ON.  Let us not get in
10m discussion.  I think we might have missed a short opening to W2 on 15m but
that is how it goes.
I hate phone on 160!  Probably should have never quit 160 and gone back to 40
with 40 in such bad shape. Here again the guys at WMU spanked us on top band.
Pretty much the same crew as usual here less AB5K and N5DUW but KJ5T made the 2
hour trip to help out.  This was his first experience in NAQP M/2.
We fell over 300 qsos short of our objective and short on mults by 27....but
with 15 giving up only 30 qsos and 10 mults, 20 being blacked out to part of
the country on 20, 40 just plain sucked and not being able to hear quite as
well on 80.....I guess one cannot ask for or expect more.
Thanks to all that participated!