[3830] NAQP SSB N6WG Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 18 15:51:16 EST 2009

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA

  160:   10     4
   15:    4     1
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  132    62  Total Score = 8,184

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team 4

Comments:

SOAPBOX: I had fun at times, but at others this was a real slog.
SOAPBOX: 10m and 15m really wimped out this time, with a total of
SOAPBOX: just 5 QSOs between them.  Really rotten conditions from
SOAPBOX: here.  At one point I asked a local who is up on a ridge
SOAPBOX: if he was hearing anything on 15m.  He said Yes, he was
SOAPBOX: working a lot of stations.  I absolutely could not copy
SOAPBOX: any of them down here on the bay shore.  This just served
SOAPBOX: to remind me why I like CW so much better :-)
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: Overall, 20m was my best band with 41 QSOs, just beating
SOAPBOX: 75m with 40 QSOs.  40m was only good for 36 QSOs.  160m
SOAPBOX: was not that bad with 10 QSOs, especially for the time
SOAPBOX: I spent there.
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: The day started with two VT QSOs, followed by one CT.
SOAPBOX: This gave me hope for a decent day, but it didn't hold up.
SOAPBOX: Most of my QSOs came out of the midwest.  CA gave me the
SOAPBOX: most QSOs at 42, with WA a distant second at 8 and TX third
SOAPBOX: at 7.  Overall, I worked 34 states plus AB and BC.  No
SOAPBOX: WAS this weekend :-)
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: I noticed a lot of stations with excessive audio processing.
SOAPBOX: I too had experimented with it, and I think I didn't get it
SOAPBOX: right, as I had more stations than usual miscopying my call.
SOAPBOX: The concept seems good, but the application will take further
SOAPBOX: work.  Trying to make 5w sound like more is a challenge :-)
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: This seemed to be a very strange day, with low signal
SOAPBOX: levels and very high noise levels on all bands.  Neither
SOAPBOX: the Noise Blanking nor the Noise Reduction in my K3 could
SOAPBOX: make a serious dent in the noise.  On 160m, I noticed the
SOAPBOX: noise had a strange quality to it, rather like two noise
SOAPBOX: sources beating against each other at a low audio rate,
SOAPBOX: maybe 1-2 Hz/sec.  I've heard it before occasionaly, but
SOAPBOX: not often.
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: Anyway, that's over.  Thanks for the QSOs, especially those
SOAPBOX: of you who worked so hard to pull me out of the noise.  Hope
SOAPBOX: to see you all in the CQ 160 CW.
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX: 73, Bob N6WG
SOAPBOX: The Little Station with Attitude