[3830] NAQP SSB W2AN M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 19 00:41:04 EST 2009

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: W2AN
Operator(s): AF2K, K1PY, K2DB, K2SI, K2TJ, KC2SPY, N2CK, N2ZN, W2BSN, W3RLW, WD8CQB
Station: W2AN

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: NY

   15:    6     2
Total:  333    86  Total Score = 28,638

Club: Rochester (NY) DX Assn

Team:

Comments:

This was another entry into the Rochester DX Association's continuing program to
help newer contest ops learn how to call CQ and hold a frequency.  For the most
part, we were able to do exactly that.  NAQP is probably the best contest to
learn with, as the rates are good, and the bands are fairly crowded, but not to
the levels of CQWW SSB.  We actually had a good balance of experienced ops and
newer ops, so the newer guys actually got some quality runs in during the day.

The group operated once again at the Antique Wireless Association's annex
building in Bloomfield, NY.  With the blessing of the higher-ups in the AWA, we
were able to use the AWA club call W2AN (usually heard only on 75 meter AM) for
the contest.  We also chose to ue the name "Bruce", in honor of Bruce Kelley,
W2ICE, the co-founder of the AWA and a charter member and charter board member
of the Rochester DX Association.  Of course, RDXA is again grateful to the AWA
for allowing us to come in and tear up their office for a day, and special
thanks must go to Lynn, W2BSN and Roy, W3RLW for putting in many hours to
prepare for us, and for support during the contest.  Check out the AWA's
website at www.antiquewireless.org

The station is a Cushcraft A4S at 50' on an AB-621 milmast, and an 80 meter
loop for the low bands.  We ran 2 stations, a Kenwood TS-430 and an Icom 756
Pro so we could get as much action as possible during the day.  Last minute
problems prevented the station computers from being networked, but things
worked just fine without it.

Since the band conditions were so strange (read-bad), we wrapped things up
around 10 PM.  CQing on 80 was getting nowhere at that time, 40 was a
wasteland, and the 80 meter loop didn't seem to like 160.  Still, we had a lot
of fun, and accomplished one of the main objectives of the operation; to give
those guys just getting started in contesting the opportunity to act and feel
like Big Guns for a while.

Thanks for all the QSO's, and look for W2RDX in ARRL SSB (maybe) from the AWA.

73, Ken N2ZN (also W2RDX and W2AN).

www.rdxa.com