[3830] CQ160 CW NX5M Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 25 02:30:59 EST 2009

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M
Station: NX5M

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: TEXAS

Total:  QSOs = 177  State/Prov = 49  Countries = 31  Total Score = 50,480

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Was out of town Friday night but after hosting NAQP the past two weekends I did
not feel like operating anyway.
Got on Saturday night off and on to test out an amp and hand out some q's.  Amp
puts out a smooth 1.5k but something just is not right.  I was using vox, no
footswitch initially but found that the power was not there when I'd send the
first letter of my call.  What tipped me off was the fact that so many that I
called were only getting X5M or 5M.  At first I thought it was just because the
other guy might be switching between RX antennas but later noticed on the
wattmeter that I was putting out about 70 watts on the first letter and then
full power on the rest.  I threw in a footswitch to key the amp and all was
well after that....but I do not like to use a footswitch so if anyone has any
idea what I need to do please let me know.
Heard GM3POI 2 hours before sunset here.
I heard the band was really good the first night but in the little time I spent
in the shack tonight I was not very impressed.