[3830] CQ160 CW K4TD Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 25 18:39:25 EST 2009

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K4TD
Operator(s): K4TD
Station: K4TD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Alabama

Total:  QSOs = 1402  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 63  Total Score = 646,527

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

First, thanks for all the QSO's!!!  This is one of my favorite contests.

On Friday at sunset the Europeans were booming into North Alabama.  I was very
surprised at how loud the signals were in general.  Interestingly enough, it
seemed to me that the signals were all "high angle."  All my antennas are
configured more for low angle (yeah I know...) so after stubbing my toe in a
couple of pile-ups, I opted to S&P for strong US stations until my prospects
improved.  However, starting just before the 00Z hour, baby, it was
"Katie-bar-the-door."  :-)  According to SH5, during this time my best
60-minute rate was 152 and my best 120-minute rate was 287.  Now that was
fun!!!  :-)

Here's the geographical breakdown:

EU      238
AS       52 (47 were JA's)
NA     1101
SA        5
AF        4
OC        2
----------------------
Total  1402

Look forward to seeing everyone back in this one next year.

73,

Rick
K4TD

Now....

<SOAPBOX ON>

AS A COMMUNITY WE CONTESTERS (even the occasional ones) HAVE TO GET BETTER AT
TUNING OUR RIGS TO THE PROPER CALLING FREQUENCY WHEN OPERATING S&P...  In this
particular contest, spectrum is limited, signals are loud and room for error is
low.  Not a good scenario at all.  At my station, I made the decision to run the
filters in my rigs (currently Orions but switching to K3's) pretty tight.  I can
hear fairly "inteference free" inside a 250-300 Hz window.  Out of respect for
my "band neighbors," I don't listen too far outside that window when the band
is packed.  I lost count of the number of times someone would transmit on the
frequency I was using to run when trying to work the guys on either side of me.
 A couple of times my neighbors were loud, interesting DX with the result being
bedlam.  I realize this is a complicated problem that won't ever be completely
resolved, but I feel that a little more attention to detail on our parts when
in S&P mode would certainly provide some needed relief.

<SOAPBOX OFF>