[3830] CQ160 CW OG2P(OH2PM) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 26 17:56:43 EST 2009

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: OG2P
Operator(s): OH2PM
Station: OG2P

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:

Total:  QSOs = 1396  State/Prov = 50  Countries = 82  Total Score = 1,138,000

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Great conditions to North America but JAs were about 20dB weaker than usually.
Although UA0s from zone 19 were loud the JAs were very weak. Certainly most of
us made our alltime records in number of QSOs and especially in the mumber of
DX QSOs. Only in 2003 from EA8BH and 2007 as 4O3M I have made more QSOs than
this year. But I did not think, not even in my wildest dreams, that I also
could make higher multiplier count from OH than in EA8 or 4O3.

A few days before the contest I worked 70 JAs in a short time but now I was
really relaxed when I got the first JA in the log on late Saturday. The band
below 1840 and especially in the JA-window was so growded that I was forced to
do unusually much S&P which luckily produced reasonable multiplier count.

My vertical is only 26m high with elevated radials. The bandwith is very
narrow,but perfectly matched at 1820. When operating above 1840 I had to reduce
power to save the amplifier tubes for high reflected power. However I was able
to work many nice multipliers even close to 1900.

I very well accept the fact that on the same continent at least five stations
must be able to operate within 1 kHz bandwidth. Contesters are adaptable and
improving.  But on the other hand I  totally  disagree with the reality that
some stations with reasonable code speed but clicking signals cover alone more
than 1 kHz.
It was a pleasure to monitor e.g. last years's EU top, GM3POI, runs with strong
and clean signal. Who has the courage to list those whos signal does not meet
the quality standards ? Should there be an on-the-air audit for all HP stations
just before the contest ? In Finland our annual fee to the local telecom
authority is  based on used bandwidth, just the same principle as commercial
and professional users have. Use of limited natural resources will charged or
taxed. I think that five times higher annual fee for a clicking contest station
does not work. How about dividing the final score by a factor 2-5 depending on
the bandwidth taken ? I am well aware that there is no  final  and practical
solution to this issue. However it must be continously discussed, otherwise we
quietly agree or at the most, swear in the club meetings.

Hopefully  the good experincies in this year's contest are encouraging those
who participated for the first time or with a limited effort to revist the 160
meter contests also in the future.

Once again, after all my 50 years of contesting, I enjoyed it very much !

Cu in contest, Pertti, OH2PM/OG2P