[3830] CQ160 CW VE3JM(@VE3RM) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 26 18:22:25 EST 2009

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VE3JM
Operator(s): VE3JM
Station: VE3RM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs): 29:30

Total:  QSOs = 1406  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 65  Total Score = 1,011,921

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Operated this contest second time in a row from Don's. Still there is a lot to
learn how to operate in this one.

I put up a single Beverage about 150 meters long towards Europe two months ago
just before CQWW DX in November. The wire vertical antenna broke a month ago
due to high speed winds, so I came to Don's a week ago to fix it. It was very
windy and cold that day, but this was my last chance to get the antenna fixed
before the contest. Usually I am OK to climb up the towers, but this time it
was a bit scary.

Also added 4 radials a week ago and few more just before the start of the
contest. Originally I was planning to get rid of the loading coil at the base
of the tower and extend the horizontal wires of the T to get a proper match,
but Don thought that wasn't necessary.

Still believe that the vertical would be a much better antenna without the
coil. This is probably one of the reasons why I was not spotted often even
though I was running about 80% of the time.

Used the second radio without an amplifier. I listened on it using the Beverage
since both transmitting antennas are just next to each other. There was some
interference from the main radio, but still managed to make a bit over 100 Qs.

The highlight of the weekend was working few JAs. Never heard them before on
160. There were probably more calling in, but there was no receiving antenna
for that direction.

Equipment:
Radio 1: FT-1000 MP Field, AL-1200
Radio 2: FT-2000
Wire vertical 60' high
Dipole with the apex at 70'.
Single Beverage 500' long towards Europe

Good showing by many VE3s. I expect that Nick EY had a blast. I was also amazed
with VE3MGY's QRP score. Well done, Brian!

As usual, I would like to thank Don for letting me operate from his station
again. Don just turned 80 last Friday.